Monday, July 2, 2012

christmas comes early...

i'm back from texas! i did not think it could get any hotter than in new orleans but i was wrong. it was like standing on the surface of the sun! new orleans wins hands down in humidity but texas was just plain hot. 

the wedding was absolutely beautiful and it was so much fun to see all my friends and family. i love watching my friends start the next chapter in their lives, and that we can all celebrate together, especially after 20 years of friendship. 

so i know i'm supposed to be working on the linda lahm tote bags, but something has been calling my name and i think the lord is sending me signs...

Susan Roberts needlepoint nutcracker stocking


this lovely lady nutcracker is my stocking (painted by the talented susan roberts). i've had it for about 9 months and it always got pushed to the side to make way for smaller projects or gifts. on my plane ride back home last night, there was a fellow stitcheress sitting diagonally in front of me working on a stocking! i couldn't get a good look at the canvas as most of it was rolled up, but i was mesmerized watching her work the same motions we all make with a needle; mindless basketweave, cutting more navy wool for her background, finishing the previous strand, i was in a stitching trance!

unfortunately she and her husband were off the plane and lost in a sea of people in the new orleans airport before i had time to find her, to tell her that we were in the same stitching "sorority" and to compliment her beautiful craftsmanship.

watching her stitch that stocking made me yearn to start mine. 

eek! christmas is coming early!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE your blog! Just found it thanks to Stephanie from the Needlepoint Facebook group. The stocking looks awesome! It has been extremely hot here also where I am, in Maryland. Over 100 degrees a few days ago. I feel like I am melting...can't wait for autumn!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks danielle! the only good thing about our humidity is that it does wonders for your pores! haha!

      Delete
  2. I found your blog through Stephanie too. I love it! Stitch on, your stockings are beautiful! Just to let you know, I am working on two stockings and it is easy to put them aside for something smaller. They are for my daughter and newish son-in-law.

    ReplyDelete